Monday, November 22, 2010

Caught In The Current

I’ve always been told that “today is the first day of the rest of my life.” But doesn’t that mean that today is also the last day of what was my life?

As a matter of fact the few seconds it took you to read the first sentence of this blog is no longer your present but is now considered your past. And the sentence you are currently reading which only a moment ago was your future is now destined to be your past whether you choose to finish reading it or not.

You see to me, living in the future is just as unhealthy as living in the past. This is why I think we should always live in the moment because it’s really all we have. Now please don’t get me wrong because I’m not saying we should forget our yesterdays or ignore our tomorrows because it’s alright to reminisce about the past and we defiantly need to plan for the future. But what I am saying is its wrong to constantly live in either one like so many of us do. And of course the past can affect our now as well as our future but only if we allow it to.

I guess I’m trying to articulate that sitting around wishing things could be like they used to be or that we could go back and change our past is really no different than sitting around hoping our tomorrows will turn out better than our today’s. Because both waste precious time and steal our ability to not only live in, but enjoy the moment God’s given us to experience right now.

And yes, allowing our past to affect both our present and our future seems to just be human nature. So wouldn’t it stand to reason that we can choose to make our futures better if we could just learn how to live every moment knowing that the moment we’re currently residing in will soon become our past?

Just some random thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment