Saturday, August 15, 2009

Huh?

Is anybody listening?

Have you ever experienced a time in your life when you are pouring you heart out to somebody and the person you're talking to seems to have that glazed over look in their eyes like they're not even in the same room with you?

Aggravating isn't it?

Try being a Pastor!

Now I've been on both ends of this situation. I remember doing the exact same thing in school. I didn't want to be there but I knew I had to because it's what I was supposed to do. Plus I was a student and that's what students do, they go to school.

I can remember many a time the teacher would be teaching and I would be looking him or her right in the eye but I wasn't really even in that room. Now I'm not talking about an 'out of body experience' but In my mind I was totally somewhere else doing something else I would have really rather have been doing, until...I heard a frightening sound that would shake my core back into the reality of where I was and what I should have been doing. That sound was always the teachers voice saying "Mr. James!" And at that point I had no idea if he or she was calling me to answer a question they'd asked that I was totally unaware of or they just liked the sound of my name. It was always the question thing! And as usual I would answer with the typical intelligent high school answer of "Huh?" while everyone else seemed to be amazingly amused.

But on the other hand in my defense, it wasn't that way in every class...OK, well all but two! I loved art and drafting anything to do with drawing. You see ever since I was very young I felt as though I was an artist. It was who I was and what I loved and had a passion for. And in art and drafting class I not only listened but I always received straight "A's" all four years of high school.

You see I guess it's just human nature that we are truly attentive and truly inspired by that which we love and that which we truly feel we are.

Now by now, some of you are saying "Huh?" because you don't understand the point of this particular post. So I will end it with the question I often ask myself after every service...

...Is anybody listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment