Monday, June 15, 2009

Cloud Shadows

We were headed somewhere the other day, where doesn’t really matter, but as we were in transit my attention was focused on these huge shadows moving across the farm fields. Immediately I knew these apparitions were cloud shadows. Now in my younger years I would watch them, quite often in amazement and wonder at how these cloud shadows would sail across the land covering everything in their path and then revealing light once again after their departure.

But this time as I was taken aback by their course and conformity to the landscape they blanketed, I recognized the fact that they left absolutely no trace whatsoever of their path, their form or their existence for that matter.

And that’s when I wondered to myself and now to you, if it were possible that sometimes we too are just like cloud shadows. Do we sometimes at points on our paths in life leave absolutely no trace that we were here or there? No trace of our forms, purpose or existence for that matter? How sad it would be if we ended up living out our entire lives as cloud shadows silently skimming across time, space and matter all the while only conforming to the shapes of those around us, never changing or making a lasting difference in this world. Some I suppose are happy and content with being merely cloud shadows leaving only momentary times of darkness to all around or beneath them. I on the other hand would rather be remembered for more than just fleeting moments of some thing or someone else’s shadow.

Our purpose should not be to conform but to transform everything around us in a positive sense and leave this life better than the way we found it, never the same. So as we move over the terrain called life that’s been set before us let us do our best to make a difference for the better and not become mere cloud shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment