Friday, June 19, 2009

Dads Day

Well this Sunday is Father's Day. I've really struggled with writing a Father's Day sermon since I'm still dealing with the loss of my own Dad in December. I even contemplated getting someone else to fill in for me so I wouldn't have to deal with it, but I came to the conclusion that I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago and I shouldn't take off again this soon. Besides how can I preach on healing and the power of God or even the joy of the Lord in a follower's life if I act as if He's not strong in me when I am most weak? God never once said we wouldn't have grief, sorrow or pain in our lives but rather as any great Dad He warns or prepares us for persecution and loss in this life. Yet He also comforts us by painting a great picture of the life to come with Him forever, where I know my Mom and Dad already are.

So this week I will silently dedicate this message to my Dad and try to be a blessing by honoring and lifting up our Dads. I've been reflecting back on my life and I believe that this may be true for most. I noticed that when we are little our Dads are "bigger than life to us", then in our teens they "know absolutely nothing about life to us", but when we are older they become "indispensable to life to us".

I really miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment