Saturday, May 16, 2009

If the shoe fits...

I did something totally radical and out of my character today. It was hard for me to do but I worked my way through it and I really believe it was a step in the “right” direction. What I did may shock some of you reading and I hope it doesn’t make you think any less of me as a leader and Pastor. But here goes, I’m confessing to all my blog readers that first thing this morning I put my right shoe on first instead of my left. I know it’s a mystery why I would dare to do something so drastic, something so out of the ordinary but the fact of the matter is I did it and I am not ashamed and I have no regrets!

We probably don’t notice it because it comes to us so naturally but we truly are creatures of habit. All the way from which shoe goes on first to which leg we slip into our jeans first or which arm goes into our shirts first. And I’m using the description of the actions of clothing ourselves because it’s a required ritual that we all participate in everyday, usually without too much thought. Yes some may spend consumable amounts of time and deep meditation on which clothes to cover and adorn their bodies with, but the action of putting them on is still routine and repetitive. And most of the time we don’t even notice because it has become not only habitual but mundane and a common-action that we have to do.

With this said, maybe we should reflect on our spiritual bodies. Perhaps we need to set back for a few minutes, meditate and take note of our spiritual ‘habits’. Is it possible that as followers of Christ we have unknowingly formatted some of our spiritual experiences into mundane and common-action habits? Is it conceivable that we, like getting dressed in the morning, have somehow allowed our personal spiritual “have-to’s” to become just mindless repetitive actions instead of elements of wonderful devotion?

Yes being able to dress ourselves in the morning may seem mindless and menial. But I know this, if for whatever reason you weren’t able to perform the task of dressing yourself you would no longer take the simplicity of the action for granted. It would be something special and you would long to be able do it and I believe you would never take it for granted again. So let’s ask ourselves if our spiritual acts of worship or service have somehow become mindless and mundane? If so let’s try not taking it for granted any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment