Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Stop, Drop and Roll!

All of us have probably done some things in our past that we can certainly feel bad for doing and totally regret. But whatever we’ve done, if we’ve asked the Lord to forgive us and we’ve done our best to not do it again, then I believe we should let it “be done”. You see I’m of the opinion that we can allow the enemy, or even our own self-conscious, [not our God-conscious], guilt us all up over our past mistakes, pitfalls or sins.

Which, brace yourself for this now, I wonder if that's a sin in itself?

Can guilt be sin?

I really think so.

Here’s my play on this thought, if you are guilty then guilt should certainly be expected, even welcomed as a Christ follower. Why? Because that’s the God-conscious telling us we need to change to be more like Christ, but if you’ve been forgiven then you’re not guilty any longer and that’s another story.

Let me just lay it out plain simple, if you’re forgiven then you are forgiven, and to feel guilt for something Christ has already forgiven you of and God has already forgotten could be, and in my book would be a sin. Because you’re guilt of a forgiven past is like saying Christ’s work of forgiveness on the cross and God’s forgetfulness in heaven was all in vein.

So let me ask you, or better yet you ask yourself this, "Have I ever done anything in my past that was so bad and so terrible that Christ’s blood cannot cover it and God’s grace cannot release it?" The answer to that is NO! Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." –Matthew 11.28-30

"So if you’re forgiven but still carrying guilt my suggestion to you is to stop, drop it and just roll with God’s forgiveness and grace.

1 comment:

  1. it's the difference between conviction and condemnation. conviction propels you forward toward change. condemnation pushes you away from change and into isolation. God brings conviction. Satan and self bring condemnation. "there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ.."

    ReplyDelete