Monday, January 26, 2009

The Valuable Void

I've had two recent events that have led to this post.
Today I was able to spend the entire day with just my wife, it was really great!
And yesterday around four in the evening I had the honor of doing a memorial service for a friend in the churches younger brother.

What do these two events have in common? Well these two events in my life, coupled with the fact that my brother and I are having to go through our fathers property and personal property for his estate have led me to receive a greater appreciation for first of all, everyone in my life, whom I will never again take for granted.

And second, I've gained a greater appreciation for what lasts forever.

No matter if you leave this life with fifty dollars or fifty million to your name, your true value is not found in what you leave behind, but in the void you leave behind. You really can't base the value of a persons life on what they had accumulated while they were here. Because true value is really based on how badly you are missed when you're gone. I can only hope the void I leave behind will be at least half that of my fathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment