Saturday, February 28, 2009

Disconnectivity

I've been thinking again so here goes. Have you ever thought about this?

With today’s modern technology we have the means to connect with anyone anywhere in the world at anytime. We’ve come to a point in our civilization where we’re networking and forming these “electronic societies” if you will, with two, hundreds or even thousands of people to play games, share information, view events, transfer thought and even create new identities through Avatars like in Second Life. As a matter of fact I know of someone who has over three or five thousand friends on facebook but probably hasn't personally met many of them. Technology is an awesome thing…but that’s exactly what it is, it’s “a thing.” It has created a way for us to be connected by actually becoming disconnected. Even though it’s a great “thing” it’s afforded us the availability to not be present. I believe just like video gaming has changed the way our youth compete, technology has also given us the justification to have contact but not really have contact. I’m not against technology, (I’m blogging here) but I miss that personal relational connection we’ve seemed to have severed with a wireless connection. Now don’t get me wrong I’m all for technology, I love it, I just want to know what happened to meeting with me instead of e-mailing me!
Just a random rambling from Reverend Ron.

6 comments:

  1. yeah.. techy stuff kind of takes away from the things that make friends worth having. :\
    and ur a busy fellow so emailing is probably one of the better ways of getting ahold of you haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey jd i got this artproject im thinking of doing for a backdrop this week coming up, if i do it wanna help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha do you even have to ask?! im down :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, how do we make the church a place where real connections are made and technology becomes a means of mainting those connections and not the connection itself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder what would happen if we treated our Bible like we treat our cell phones?

    What if we carried it around in our purses or pockets?

    What if we turned back to go get it if we forgot it?

    What if we flipped through it several times a day?

    What if we used it to receive messages from the text?

    What if we treated it like we couldn't live without it?

    What if we gave it to kids as gifts?

    What if we used it as we traveled?

    What if we used it in case of an emergency?

    This is something to make you go hmm... Where is my Bible?


    Oh, and one more thing. Unlike our cell phone, we don't ever have to worry about our Bible being disconnected because Jesus already paid the bill!

    And no dropped calls !

    ReplyDelete